Christopher University (UNICHRIS) is a leading private university in Nigeria known for its high academic standards and rigorous admission process. Getting admission into UNICHRIS is highly competitive and prospective students interested in studying at the university need to meet certain requirements. In this comprehensive blog post, we provide a detailed overview of UNICHRIS admission requirements for the 2023/2024 academic session for various programs including undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma, jupeb, remedial, part-time, and distance learning programs.
About Christopher University
Christopher University is a faith-based university established in 2015 and located in Mowe, Ogun State, Nigeria. The university currently has three campuses – the main campus in Mowe, the Lagos campus, and the Abuja campus. UNICHRIS is fast-growing and highly reputed for its quality education, cutting-edge research, and excellent learning facilities. The university runs a wide range of academic programs across 6 colleges – College of Humanities, College of Management Sciences, College of Natural and Applied Sciences, College of Medical Sciences, College of Engineering, and College of Law. UNICHRIS is accredited by the National Universities Commission (NUC) and all its programs are NUC-approved.
The university prides itself on its Christian faith-based education, high moral standards, dedicated faculty, and conducive learning environment. UNICHRIS is a center of academic excellence that produces top-quality graduates equipped with knowledge, skills, and values to impact society.
Christopher University Undergraduate Admission Requirements
To gain admission into any of the undergraduate programs at UNICHRIS, prospective candidates must meet the following minimum entry requirements:
- Five O’level credit passes at not more than two sittings including English Language and Mathematics. For programs in Engineering, Sciences, and Medical Sciences, credit passes in relevant subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Biology are required.
- UTME: Candidates must have sat for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) in the year of entry and attained the prescribed cut-off mark for their program of choice.
- Post-UTME screening: In addition to UTME, candidates will be invited for the post-UTME screening exercise comprising a written exam and oral interview. Performance in the post-UTME determines final admission.
- SSCE/GCE, NECO: Candidates awaiting results can apply for admission but their results must be available by the start of the academic session before they can be registered.
- Direct Entry: Applicants with a diploma, NCE, or higher national diploma may be admitted through direct entry into year two based on the guidelines for their program.
- In addition to the above, getting admitted into competitive programs like Medicine, Pharmacy, Law, and Engineering requires much higher entry qualifications and passing the post-UTME at a very high mark.
UNICHRIS upholds high moral standards so prospective students are required to provide a reference letter from their religious leader attesting to their good character.
Christopher University Postgraduate Admission Requirements
For postgraduate studies, the entry requirements into Christopher University include:
- A bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a minimum of second-class lower division for PGD, Master’s, and MPhil degrees.
- For a PhD, an applicant requires a Master’s degree with a research thesis from Christopher University or any other approved university.
- Submit the following documents: degree certificates, academic transcripts, NYSC discharge certificate (where applicable), birth certificate, and reference letters from a religious leader/employer.
- A detailed research proposal for PhD and MPhil degrees.
- Successfully complete the postgraduate screening exercise including a written exam and oral interview.
- International students must satisfy all requirements equivalent to Nigerian qualifications, submit English proficiency scores (TOEFL/IELTS), and go through the admission screening process.
Christopher University Diploma Programs Entry Requirements
To gain entry into diploma programs at UNICHRIS, applicants must:
- Have a minimum of 4 credits including English and Mathematics at SSCE/NECO/GCE O’ levels.
- Pass the relevant subject combinations for their chosen program e.g. commerce, sciences, etc.
- Have a minimum cut-off mark of 160 in the UTME exam.
- Sit for the post-UTME/diploma entrance exam and oral interview.
- Present letters of reference from religious leaders and former schools.
- Be above 16 years of age before the commencement of the program.
Christopher University Jupeb Admission Requirements
The Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board (JUPEB) program is a one-year direct entry program that allows candidates to gain admission into the 200 level at the university. To qualify for JUPEB at UNICHRIS, a candidate must:
- Possess a minimum of 5 O’level credit passes including English, Mathematics, and other relevant subjects to the program of choice.
- Have made UNICHRIS my first choice in UTME and scored a minimum of 180 marks.
- Pass the JUPEB entrance exam and interview.
- Be between 16-28 years old.
- Present letters of reference from a religious leader.
- Possess a JAMB registration pin.
Christopher University Remedial Science Program Admission
The remedial science program at UNICHRIS offers a one-year qualification program for candidates who wish to pursue science-based courses but do not have the prerequisite subjects. To be eligible, a candidate must:
- Have 5 credits at SSCE/NECO/GCE O’levels with passes in English and Mathematics.
- Score at least 130 in the UTME exam.
- Successfully complete post-UTME/remedial screening comprising a written exam and interview.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a religious leader.
- Part-Time and Distance Learning Admission
UNICHRIS offers part-time and distance learning programs at undergraduate and postgraduate levels to provide flexible learning opportunities. To qualify for admission, candidates must:
- Meet the basic entry requirements (O’levels, bachelor’s degree, etc) as applicable.
- Have at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Pass the distance learning entrance exam and screening.
- Submit a reference letter from the employer/religious leader.
- Provide evidence of sponsorship or self-funding ability.
Christopher University Non-Nigerian Admissions
Foreign applicants from other countries seeking admission into Christopher University must:
- Possess equivalent qualifications from accredited institutions to the Nigerian admission requirements.
- Submit transcripts and certificates translated into English where relevant.
- Undergo credential evaluation.
- Provide English language proficiency proof (TOEFL/IELTS). Minimum scores are required.
- Complete the non-Nigerian admissions application process.
- Meet financial obligations including tuition fees, living expenses, etc.
- Pass the admission screening test and interview.
- Obtain a study visa and permit.
Christopher University Admission Process Timelines
To help prospective students adequately prepare, below are the key timelines for the UNICHRIS admission process:
- Sale of forms: March-May
- Entrance Exam: July
- Screening: August
- Publication of Results: September
- Registration for successful candidates: October
How to Apply for Admission at Christopher University
Once you have reviewed the entry requirements and determined your eligibility, you can go ahead and apply to Christopher University by following these steps:
- Once you have reviewed the entry requirements and determined your eligibility, you can go ahead and apply to Christopher University by following these steps:
- Visit www.christopheruniversity.edu.ng and navigate to the admission section. Select the application form for your desired program – undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma, JUPEB, part-time, or distance learning.
- Complete the application form fully with accurate personal, academic, and contact information. For undergraduate admission, enter your UTME registration number, subject combinations, and O’level exam details carefully.
- Upload scanned copies of your educational credentials per the admission requirements – certificates, transcripts, UTME result slip, O’level results, etc.
- Attach a scanned passport photograph on the website following the image specifications.
- Make a non-refundable payment of the application fee (usually around N10,000) using the payment options on the portal – bank transfer, card payment, bank deposit, etc.
- Print out the completed form and payment invoice as you will need to present it at the screening and during registration if admitted.
- Submit the form online and wait up to 2 weeks to receive information on the next steps via email or text message.
- Confirm your screening date, time, and venue. Attend with your original documents and photocopies. Exhibit good conduct throughout.
- Check your admission status online with your application number. Successful applicants can proceed to accept their offer and make payments.
- Complete your registration, and orientation and commence your program on the reporting date communicated.
- Applying timely and correctly is crucial, so follow the instructions carefully. Reach out for any queries.
We hope this detailed blog provides a comprehensive overview of the key admission requirements and processes at Christopher University for various programs for the 2023/2024 academic year. Meeting the cut-off marks and passing the screening is highly competitive so prospective candidates need to prepare adequately and apply on time. UNICHRIS remains committed to maintaining high standards and admitting the brightest and best students who will benefit from its excellent learning environment.